Troy Davis: Being Black is a “Death Sentence”

Not just in Georgia, but throughout the United States. Some 149 years ago, President Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, which stated “…all persons  held as slaves…shall be then, henceforward and forever free….”  But the freedom purchased in blood for slaves has yet to be fully realized, and even the best intentions of all citizens of the United States regarding the equality of slaves and their descendants has been without success. Black American males are still unable to secure equal protection under the law because of racial discrimination.

It is my opinion that were Troy Davis white, the evidence which led to his conviction as a black male for murdering Officer Mark Allen MacPhail also would have convicted him for that crime. The question as to whether the People would have pursued the Death Penalty is where ambiguity arises, and the possibility of “racial profiling” and latent discrimination becomes apparent. While a guilty verdict at trial may have been obtained, had an appeal laden with the litany of recanted testimony and the absence of compelling demonstrable evidence directly placing Troy Davis’ finger on the trigger been presented, a white Troy Davis certainly would not face imminent execution by lethal injection.

It is entirely possible that Troy Davis did murder Officer Mark Allen MacPhail, however, the possibility, a reasonable doubt, exists that he did not, and for this reason, and this reason alone, the State of Georgia will not execute a convicted felon, but will, once again, condone the murder a black male.

I am a white, conservative, southern male, 63 years old, and I am ashamed for the zeal with which the People, our Judicial Branch , the Prosecutors and Courts of Georgia, pursue the arrest, conviction and execution of black  males at a rate which far exceeds the arrest, conviction and execution of white males. The fact that white men still fear the loss of control over black males, indeed over blacks of any gender,  is the sole obvious explanation of this cowardly and venal behavior.

It is even more appalling that this same bigotry is seen in all the States which comprise the Union, and that little discussion of this virulent discrimination is ever heard in the public forum. Isn’t it time, finally, to accept the proposition that all humans are created equal, and that those who can not accept that fact need to seriously question their courage, motivation and intention.

As the following two articles I have earlier written attest, I proclaim the Sanctity of Life, and urge those who uphold Capital Punishment as legally or morally justified to consider the arguments against State Sponsored Murder I present.

(alternatives to) CRIME and (capital) PUNISHMENT

http://www.bullsullivan.com/2011/06/24/alternatives-to-crime-and-capital-punishment/

The Right “Right to Life”

http://www.bullsullivan.com/2011/06/22/the-right-right-to-life/

 

This entry was posted in Georgia Politics, Human Interest, National Politics, World Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Troy Davis: Being Black is a “Death Sentence”

  1. Sonja says:

    Thanks for finally writing about >Troy Davis: Being Black is a Death Sentence | Bull
    Sullivan <Liked it!

  2. Pingback: Paula Dean and the “N-word” | Bull Sullivan

  3. Jummy says:

    In response to paul-harvey du bois:

    The police’s stance towards Coles is not strange at all.

    Coles stepped forward to the police and gave his testimony. Davis did not step forward to the police and fled town.

    After that, the police worked on the hypothesis that Davis did it. A hypothesis that was confirmed by additional testimony, circumstantial ballistic evidence, and a 12-0 conviction by a majority black jury.

    Davis did not take the stand in the federal hearing and did not even call Coles, the only possible alternative murderer, to the stand, thereby implicitly admitting that he was the real murderer.

    There is no mystery here and no cover-up. A man who was for 95% probability a cop-killer, and for 5% a willing dupe covering, for some reason, for a cop-killer, was sentenced to death. Not fun. But not unfair either.

  4. paul-harvey du bois says:

    I find the behaviour of the Georgia police and that state’s judicial system very peculiarly
    suspect in regards to the treatment accorded Sylvester Redd Coles. It is virtually impossible to get any information on this individual on Internet.

  5. Jummy says:

    Even leaving aside the forensic evidence found on his shorts (but not admitted in court): If Davis did not do it, then Coles did, and Davis knew he did it. However Davis did not inform the police about Coles. He did not step forward to provide information to the police, implicate Coles, or set his own record straight. Instead he fled the crime scene and within 24 hours fled town. Only years later did he implicate Coles, however, he only subpoenaed him a day before his retrial. This subpoena did not reach Coles and Coles never took the stand. The judge rightly remarked that with that Davis blew his only chance to provide the court with a credible alternative version of events. It is possible that Davis took the fall for Coles, or that the two sought to confuse the police by implicating each other. Whatever the real story is, Davis is either a murderer or desperately covering for a murderer.

    My heart does not bleed for murderers or those covering for murderers. Justice was served.

  6. linny says:

    Having lived in the Savannah area during this trial, I think that prosecution would have sought the death penalty regardless of who would have been convicted. The problem was the vast amount of public anger and outrage about this particular case. A young man killed in cold blood and leaving behind a widow and young child was the reason the death penalty was given and not really any other.

    • Bull Sullivan says:

      linny, I don’t doubt that you are correct regarding the outrage, and the Jury may well have felt the evidence for conviction was sufficient beyond a reasonable doubt t . My concern about bias refers to the Appellate process. I personally do not have knowledge of Mr. Davis’ guilt or innocence, but I assert that no white man would have failed to obtain a more reasoned hearing, and perhaps commutation. Thank you for your response.

  7. Bull
    Your comments are, as always, well thought out and in line with the mainstream media hype. You usually take the totally unforgivable step of arming yourself with facts before expressing your opinion. This sets you apart from most editorialists and op-ed writers. I look forward to your comments on the passing parade.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *